The first temporal and spiritual ruler of Bhutan, Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal built it in 1646. These Dzong houses were built as the monastic houses of the place, containing the office of the district judge and the district administrative head. One can reach there through Nemi Zam, which is a traditional bridge. While walking through the bridge, you will come across a variety of architectural wonders. Also, Paro Tshechu is held here annually during spring.
This tower is a must watch as it was built for defending Ripung Dzong at the time of Intervalley War in the 17th century. After that, it is served as the country’s National Museum. There is a fascinating and exquisite collection of thangka paintings, relics, art and postage stamps of Bhutan. The circular shape of the museum helps in augmenting its various collections on floors.
Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal built this beautiful village in 1646 to celebrate his victory over Tibetan invaders. Strategically and historically, this Dzong withstands all its glory and this was featured in National Geographic magazine in 1914. Its glory remains intact even when it was destroyed in 1951 due to fire.
It is among the most sacred and oldest shrines of Kingdom right from the beginning of 7th century. The architectural complex of Lhakhang has two temples, one of which was built in 7th century by Songtsen Gampo, a Tibetan king and the other one was built by the mother queen of Bhutan, H.M. Ashi Kesang.
There is a chorten type temple towards the west of Dungtse Lhakhang. It is an unusual building built by a builder of the iron bridge named, Thangtong Gyalpo. There are three floors each of which represents heaven, earth, and hell respectively. The paintings placed in the temple are believed to be the best paintings in entire Bhutan.
PARO TAKSANG (TIGER NEST)
This is among the most famous monasteries of Bhutan, situated on a side of a cliff which is 900m higher than the valley floor of Paro. It is believed to be the place of meditation of Guru Rinpoche who arrived here by sitting on the back of a tigress. That is why this site is known as Tiger’s valley. It is believed to be among the most sacred places of Bhutan. Almost all the Bhutanese visit here once in their lifetime.
This is a home for Buddhist nuns dedicating their lives to spirituality. They lead their lives in a very peaceful way and stay deep in meditations and prayers. Goemba is situated on the mountainside below Chelela pass.
UGYEN PELRI PALACE
It is a wooden compound on the southern side of the river towards the west of Dzong. This was built by Tsering Penjor and Paro Penlop in the 20th century. The designing is done in accordance with the celestial paradise of Guru Rinpoche and Zangto Pelri thus is known to be the best example of Bhutanese architecture.